»

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

V5.0

I know, I have been slack for the past few months. With a fair enough excuse. Since last blogging, I have moved from Queensland back to Victoria (two states ftl/ftw - depending on how you look at it).. Aside from that, it has been back to square one with a new job, new/old friends and other such prospects.

I had originally typed up a rather positive blog and had saved it. Unfortunately things have dramatically changed in the past half a week or so.

Nan and pop moved from Brisbane to Geelong on Saturday. They were both well, slowly moving things and getting the house set up etc. Sunday, however things had taken a turn for the worse. Pop had gone from being able to walk, talk, eat and do things for himself to not being able to walk without two of us, unable to eat on his own and was unable to speak sense - i.e. it consisted of made up words. After deciding to call the ambulance, against his wishes we headed off to the hospital to meet them there. Four or so hours later of tests and such, they found he was bleeding intracranially, and had been since his last head injury the week an a half earlier. The week and a half earlier, he had tripped and pounded his head on the tiles causing internal hemorrhaging into his brain. From this he ha gone into surgery to have it fixed up, leaving a hematoma behind. After being in observation for continual bleeding for a few days the doctors there (in Brisbane) gave him the all clear to fly down to Victoria. But alas, their observation had failed. Poppy had been bleeding out into his brain since the original injury, but noticeable symptoms and signs were only showing a week and a half after the fall.

He was rushed off to Melbourne to see a neurosurgery team to decide the best cause of action, although we already knew that ultimately more surgery was the only option. We spent the day with him before he went in for surgery today. I have never seen him like this, so confused, so disorientated. Although, I am surprised that he was pretty good with remembering my name this time (usually he gets a little muddled and calls me Cass - my cousin. Although he does have the early stages of vascular dementia).. We said our goodbyes, kissed him on the forehead and watched him be taken away for surgery.

He should be out now. However, I have not heard any news. It's strange you know, with this sort of thing at work I am fine, but once it's your own it's a totally different ball game.

Surgery for four hours, and I just got the word - he has made it through the surgery and has gotten to recovery. Fingers crossed he continues to get through it. I am aware that risks of this surgery may not seem that likely to happen, but with Poppys health status at the moment, I am not taking anything to chance. As nan says however, 'We shall not worry until we know for sure there is something we indeed need to worry about.'

I am currently looking positively into the future, hoping that it all works out the way we desire. I could not bare to lose another grandparent. Losing the first two was hard enough. A sense of relief has come over me. I pray it only gets better from here.

0 comments: